Thursday, October 20, 2011

Social norms...shattered!

Just before church on Sunday morning last weekend, I ran to the bathroom. First, let me give some context. Men have this unwritten rule that you really don't speak to other men in the bathroom. Perhaps this goes back ages to our early ancestors, or perhaps just to modern America, but that's the RULE!

So, there I was standing at the urinal and this young man approached and said hello to gentlemen next to me and then said "Hello sir" to me! I would guess his age to be about mid 30's and he appears to have mild "Down Syndrome" or something similar. I responded back and then began to think about what just happened.

To be honest, I was moved by this young man who saw a friend and said hello, then not wanting to be unfriendly, he spoke to me. FORGET THE RULES, he was being better than the rules.

I hope I can grow up and ignore stupid societal rules in order to care for people. Don't you???

No comments: