Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Taking time to listen and learn

I was reminded recently about the power of listening and learning. I was doing some welding at a friends house. I have done this many times before and always with a long sleeve shirt. On the day in question, I wore a sleeveless shirt.

My friend said "you are going to get burnt, you better put on a long sleeve shirt", I responded by saying that I would change if I got burnt. I was talking about slag from the welding landing on my skin and burning me, he was talking about "sunburn" from the welder.

Have you ever done something like this? He and I even used the same word: burnt, but we meant different things from it. 5 days later my arm is peeling like crazy because I fried it. All this could have been avoided if I would have taken a few extra moments to clarify what he meant vs. what I meant.

Next time I weld, it's long sleeves for me, but I had to pay a price when someone who knew better was helping me and I did not understand!

No comments: