Saturday, March 27, 2010

Words mean far less

Over the past week I have spoken with my kids about Obedience. Quickly, it was just in the context of "not saying you would do something, but actually DOING IT".

The New Testament records a story told by Jesus where he basically explains that a father asked two sons to accomplish a task. Son #1 said he would do it, but did not. Son #2 said he would NOT but later did the task. Here comes the big question..."Which one was obedient?" Son #2 because he did what was asked, even though he verbalized opposition.

In the current political environment I am watching for who actually does what they say. I am watching those who listen and represent their constituents. I am not angry, but I will definitely be more direct in the political arena. 55% national opposition to the Health-care bill was ignored, and it will have a bearing on the next election.

All this provides a great teaching moment for me as a parent. It doesn't matter nearly what I say, my behavior speaks louder than my words. I am grateful for all these examples, both good and bad so I can help prepare my children for life.

No comments: