Saturday, July 3, 2010

Punishment or not?

Memphis schools are considering a return to "spanking" as a form of punishment after 5 years away from the practice. Of course this is a hot topic and people can get very animated about this discussion.

My biggest question in this debate (regardless of which side you take) is; "where is the guidance"?

My children have been disciplined in many ways over the years by my wife and I and the basis is "guidance". We want our kids to operate inside certain boundaries and we guide that process by rewarding good behavior and punishing bad behavior.

In some ways, this mirrors the frustration at the border. If I cross into Mexico illegally, I will be put in jail for 2 years. Sneak into America and it's a misdemeanor with little teeth.

Bottom line: you can guide people, especially children with punishment. You can guide adults the same way with laws and punishment for violators. However, when those doing wrong have nothing to fear, our society is headed down a bad road. When people from other countries can sneak in with little if any consquence then again we are moving in a bad direction.

I believe and practice that discipline is good...very good. It is a reality in life and should be practiced by parents, schools, cities and countries.

No comments: