Monday, July 12, 2010

Where we come from

Over the past 5 days I rode a 1998 Honda Shadow 1100 across Arizona, Utah and Colorado. There were four of us on the trip and we covered more than 1,350 miles. Spending that much time with anyone will grow your friendship. Over the next entries I will related some of my thoughts and lessons learned as we rode for hours across amazing country in all kinds of weather.

My first lesson came late in the trip. Saturday evening we were at dinner at Carver's Brewery in Durango talking about our lives. Matt Kinsley leans over and says, "Davey boy, our lives starting out are so opposite." His point was to talk about how wild and crazy some of his early years were and how plain my life was.

You know, each of us start out in different places. The beginning is not important. How you end up is what matters. Are you going to stay in the places where you begin? I am not talking about physically where you live. I am talking about the choices you make in how you live, speak, treat others, have family, make commitments, become a better person, participate in our society, train your children well and so many other things.

We laughed on the trip because we all had near death experiences and yet here we are. Perhaps we should acknowledge that God has saved us for something better. As for me, I choose to try and learn from my past and others. I will try to honor my wife, kids, parents and the God I follow. My goal is to finish this one and only life well. Good luck with your life.

No comments: