Monday, November 17, 2008

James 2 thoughts

Last night our small group of friends who attend every different church in town met together to discuss James 2. So you don't have to look it's about showing favoritism and faith/deeds. What a great discussion!

We spent the majority of the time discussing how we, as followers of Jesus Christ, must wade into humanity even when we don't have answers or know what to say. If we are really going to be THE CHURCH, then we must get involved.

For some reason "the church" has labeled issues like Abortion & Homosexuality as the worst kinds of acts, yet I don't see them as unforgivable or something the church should elevate over other sins not as visible. Sins like mine! If I really love people, then I must be willing to love them where they are regardless of performance or choices made!

We agreed to work on our issues of favoritism and to show our faith by what we do! God help us...God help me to REALLY LOVE PEOPLE without strings! Help me to listen, encourage and walk through life with others on this planet.

May the Church not be separate from the culture it lives in any longer.
May the Church be Holy as God describes, yet up to it's elbows in humanity!

2 comments:

Beth said...

David, thanks for sharing these thoughts. And I agree so much -- with 15 years of working in the teen crisis pregnancy ministry which largley includes post-abortion recovery as well, I have heard so many times the shame that Christian women feel when faced with sharing a past abortion decision because of how we, "the church" might view them. Women and men are hurting everywhere in our church pews because we forget that there is only one sin that the BIble lists as unforgiveable. James is a terrific reminder of how ugly my sin is too!

The Girl in the Mirror said...

Oh my gosh. I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you so much for this post, it comforted and encouraged me!