Friday, November 19, 2010

Who you are vs. What you do

Listening on Kilmeade and Friends this morning I heard part of an interview. The man being interviewed was asked about body scanners, pat-down searches and screening. His statement was very profound, basically he said, "America searches for what people carry, other countries search for WHO PEOPLE ARE".

Yes, it's called profiling, but if we don't pay attention to the tendencies of people then we will always be "reacting" after an incident. I find it odd to object to this type of planning, forethought or profiling if you will. It does not mean that someone is guilty, it just raises flags to say, "we should inquire more".

I remember flying one-way from Fresno to Phoenix years ago. I was given extract scrutiny. Was that offensive? NO. I hope that we are smart enough to have markers that help determine, not if someone is carrying something, but do they desire to harm the USA or American people.

Is it offensive to acknowledge that 30% of those who have been sexually abused will  abuse other people? I hope it's not offensive, but as a camp director, I have to know these tendencies as we hire staff to work with kids. Knowing this information helps ask appropriate questions.

The greatest issue is "Who are these people?". If I know WHO YOU ARE, I can better determine what you are capable of doing. Fail to understand this and you will be cleaning up devasted lives and much more!

No comments: