Wednesday, May 5, 2010

When life doesn't meaure up

Mike Erre was here at a Pastor's Event that our camp hosted. First, he is hilarious and energetic, especially before he speaks. Our desire was to have a conference for pastors that would be less about techniques or trends in HOW TO DO MINISTRY, and more about WHY these men and women ever chose to serve in a church in the first place. We discussed heart issues!

One of the best talks for me was about the "gap" between life that we catch glimpses of when we directly experience God's presence and the reality of life that we live in each day. Mike suggested that we have choices as laid out by John Eldredge. There are three options about how to live this life with a "gap" and Mike challenged all of us listening to strive to be "Alive and Thirsty". Not satisfied with the distance between our lives and God's presence, so we strive to close the gap, but recognizing that it's part of God's design to not always make it!

I'm in! I am willing to strive to be like Jesus, but recognize that life itself will render my efforts useless at times, but rather than give up, I choose to keep trying! Someday, in His presence in Heaven, I will no longer need to strive, but until then...I choose Alive and Thirsty. What about you?

No comments: