Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Everyone does it

A few days ago I was speaking with our camps internet hosting company. My intent was to get some pricing on changing plans, but it went a little farther, okay, a lot farther. I ended up changing service and that change took down two websites (essential to our ministry and during our busiest time) and our email service.

I was very angry at myself. There was about 24 hours of tension, but the websites are back up and running again and we have a temporary email solution until we can address the other issues.

Okay, so here is the point. Sometimes we make huge mistakes and it affects people. Sometimes, we make mistakes and because the impact is limited we think it's not that big of a deal. Trust me, it's a big deal ALWAYS.

This accident was a great reminder of the power of being humble. I had nothing to hide and when I explained it to the staff, they responded with understanding. Here I am a grown man appologizing to our College summer staff that I goofed up a few things and I am sorry.

It wasn't hard to be humble because we all make mistakes. How we deal with mistakes is where the differences begin to emerge. How are you dealing with mistakes? Could you do better? How is your pride when you face a mistake you have made?

No comments: