Friday, March 27, 2009

a big drive for a short meeting

Yesterday I was up at 4:20am and left by 4:45. I drove to Henderson, NV (Las Vegas) for a 9am meeting with a pastor and friend! We wrapped by 11am and I dropped him off to head back home. That's right, I drove 8 hours for a 2 hour meeting.

The most common question that I heard was, "Why drive that far for a short meeting?" Well, the short answer is, "it's better in person". I have two perspectives on the value of meeting in person. 1) We lean too much on electronic communication and sometimes devalue the relationship in the process. 2) Some discussions (like this one) need face to face time to deal with.

The topic of our conversation was about partnering the camp I work with and the church he works with over the next 5 years. If it works, then it will have a huge impact on both groups, therefore, we meet together. In fact, we will meet together again in a month to continue the discussion. It's that big and it deserves this much attention to get it right!

No comments: