Sunday, December 21, 2008

Come vs. Go

As a Christ follower, I have grown up on the church. My first 19 years were in Oklahoma in a small town then on to Southern California, the St. Louis area and now Prescott, AZ. I have attended church for the better part of 35 years. During that time, the message was subtle but nonetheless clear! "Come to church and hear the message".

Over the past year I have been challenged to reconsider that message. The "church" Jesus was establishing had the word "GO" involved. In the final scene of His life on earth, Jesus said,

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20

The book, "Organic Church" says, if we are going to be the church we have to be willing to sit in the "smoking section". That means we have to GO meet people where they are and tell them about Jesus in that place. The author goes on to say that we shouldn't say, "Stop smoking and I will tell you about Jesus".

Step 1. GO
Step 2. Meet and let people start where they start
Step 3. Love them (you are not condoning sin or validating lifestyle by loving people. Jesus spent time with cheats, prostitutes, the sick and loved them without condoning their lifestyle)
Step 4. Whatever change in them is up to God. You are not the Holy Spirit! You are not the one who changes people! Your role is to GO and meet people with the love of God.

Parkway Christian Church in Surprise, AZ changed their youth ministry into this model and they are experiencing amazing results. Flatirons Community Church near Boulder, CO practices this method of going out, so their weekend services are full of people who have never been to any church service before.

As for me...I am GOING out to meet people and see what God has in store. Join me!

No comments: