Sunday, December 7, 2008

Who are you walking with?

Last Friday I sat in a small group of people and enjoyed a dialogue with Wayne Jacobson. He is an author and pastor, most notably he contributed to "The Shack" and is the publisher of that book as well.

One phrase that Wayne used has stuck with me since. It sticks because it helped create some "form" to the function that I have been following. Whether in a local church or not, house church or work place the question we need to be asking is "who are we walking with?".

From my perspective I take it deeper to ask, "who is God wanting me to walk with?" It might be someone on a flight to just have a good conversation. I am learning to enjoy more about those I meet, trying to listen and understand. This is a new challenge because I was taught to have conquests for Jesus. You know, "I have to win them for the Lord"! Now I find myself talking and listening instead of having an agenda.

The basis of this type of life is "roles".
I believe that I have a role to play and so do others!
I believe that God has a role to play in the lives of those I contact.
I believe God wants people to understand His love for them FIRST.
I believe people understand mistakes or wrongdoing even if they don't admit it!
I believe our world needs more love than judgment. There is enough condemnation already!
I believe the "Church" needs to see the example of Jesus Christ in the Bible as an example to follow...He loved everyone.
I believe Jesus challenged the religious of His day and loved those who were scorned by that same group.

What role are you going to play? Are you going to invest, listen, love, understand and walk with those whom God puts in your path? Will you have an agenda of winning them or will you let God play His role of life-change? Will you let the Holy Spirit of God bring conviction or will you try to play the voice of God and bring conviction?

For those who read my blog...Thanks! I write it as part of my process to continue to follow Jesus everyday. I hope you find it worthwhile occasionally. I don't have any grand designs other than that!

No comments: