Friday, December 19, 2008

David and Goliath


There are so many different ways to discuss the story of David and Goliath found in 1 Samuel 17 of the Bible. Yesterday morning I participated in a discussion about this famous story with a group of men over coffee.

We talked about COURAGE. We talked about the CONFIDENCE of the opposing army (Philistines) with their great warrior. We talked about David not seeing the battle as SWORD vs SWORD.

For me, the greatest insight was pointed out by Mark Womack! He talked about David spending so much time as a young shepherd alone in the fields with the flock that he did not regard the battle the same way the soldiers regarded it! Every solider saw the huge opponent and could not imagine battling him directly.

David comes on scene and volunteers for the fight because he is not going to battle "sword to sword" or "spear to spear"! David is going fight based on experience. He faces Goliath with the weapons he knows how to use.

Here is where it really came to life for me! Mark connected David's relationship with God formed out in the field with not seeing the battle like the other soldiers. David could not understand battling Goliath in any way other than his training. He would use a sling and stones!!!!

How many times do we face Giants in life but assume that we MUST face them with the weapons that THEY CHOOSE???? Could I learn to see my challenges through a different lens? Could I assume a different set of rules to operate with?

I believe David found a new way to see battles. Can I follow his example? Can you?

No comments: