Friday, February 27, 2009

What makes a man?

I work at a camp. My job is an office job. In fact, I have always worked more in an office than out of one! Whether working for a church or now at camp, I have spent many hours on the phone, computer and in meetings. I don't often get to work with my hands except around the house.

Recently I have had some self-revelation regarding being a man. At camp we have some great men who manage the facilities on this property. Over the years these "tough guys" work with their hands, and in my opinion, THEY ARE MEN! Hey, wait a minute, what about a guy like me?

Can I still be a man if my work is with my mind or handling people? What if I have never been trained to work with my hands? What if I am not "mechanical" in any way?

One of the cool things about working here and being comfortable in my own skin is learning how to be a man. Conclusion: I am a man who will seldom have calloused hands from labor. I love working on my car, landscape and plumbing or electrical issues around my house. Shoot, I even drove a Bobcat yesterday to clean up some of the camp roads!

What I do, does not make me a man. WHO I AM contributes most to me becoming a man. Someday, perhaps I will be a man who is similar to Jesus!

2 comments:

Kris Mengarelli said...

How big an ol boy an ol boy are you. There is a country song out "That's A Man" that talks about integrity and doing the right thing as what it takes to be a man. You can do that anywhere...although there is something that releases testosterone when working with your hands. Thanks for the compliment David.
K

Don Crane said...

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be MEN OF COURAGE; be strong. Do everything in love.

You know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the saints. I urge you, brothers, to submit to such as these and to everyone who joins in the work, and labors at it. I was glad when Stephanas, Fortunatus and Achaicus arrived, because they have supplied what was lacking from you. For they refreshed my spirit and yours also. Such MEN deserve recognition.

1 Corinthians 16:13-18