Monday, April 26, 2010

Family extended

Last weekend my family drove over to Hemet, CA (about 5 hours away) to meet up with my wife's family. The purpose was to celebrate Aunt Nancy's "unnamed" birthday. It was just two years ago that we met for a family reunion at UCYC! Well, instead of getting together at funerals only, they decided to meet for any occasion they could. So, Nancy's birthday was next and here we go.

Enough with the details, here is what occurred to me. Sometimes we love being related to our family (by blood or by marriage) and then there are "those other times"! You know, family can push each others buttons in amazing ways. No family is exempt all the time so why not try and make the best of it!

After all, we celebrate a common purpose and name! In this case, I am part of the LeGros family because I married Lori LeGros almost nineteen years ago! Now, they (the LeGros family) has a choice to make. They can either love me and accept me or not, either way I am in the family. We are only negotiating how welcome the environment is. Does this sound familiar? Is there tension in your family at times? Sure there is!

What will you do about it? Are you willing to be honest and accepting? Are you willing to offer forgiveness if necessary? All these skills and more are vital if your family is going to healthy.

So, to my other family, Andrew, Sunshine, Jennifer, Dean, Debbie, Todd, Ashley, Chad, Dick, Carol, Jim, Charlotte, Scott, Shelly, Kaitlyn and Ben. I love you all and thank you for making this "outsider," feel like and "insider". Knowing all of you makes a huge difference in my life.

1 comment: