Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Learning the basics

Jordan is my 5 year old son. He is playing Tee Ball and I am coaching the team. It is hilarious to watch these 13 little guys figure out how to play baseball.

Baseball is one of those games that requires hard work and attention to the basics. There is a great deal of skill, but the foundation is clear. ALL baseball players start out learning how to catch and throw the baseball. They also learn how to swing a bat! Fielding will always be fielding and batting will always be batting.

Sure, things change but when we lay a foundation it allows for greater success at the next level. Today, I am reminded that just reading my Bible (foundational for me) gives God a chance to speak to me. After all, reading my Bible is just that...reading my Bible. It's a "basic" part of my life.

What about you today? Have you forgotten some of your basics? Perhaps it's time to go back to the beginning! Enjoy the journey and the good foundations that you building.

No comments: