Thursday, April 22, 2010

Marketing, Rhetoric and General Motors

The GM CEO was announcing that they have repaid the 5 Billion dollar loan w/ interest back to the US. Sounded very good. Wow, they are back or are they? Look at the following....

The U.S. government still owns 61 percent of GM. The automaker is counting on a public stock offering to allow the U.S. government to begin recouping its remaining $45.3 billion investment. The Canadian government's $8.1 billion stake, which equals a 12 percent ownership interest, also could also be unlocked if GM sells shares to the public. From Yahoo.com

I like GM. I loved my Chevy truck (used to own) and we love our old Suburban. I want the company to do well, but I was a little bummed out that the message from the commercial indicated that they were all paid up and it's just not true!

Rhetoric is powerful, especially when put on television. If I had not checked, I would have assumed that GM was completely out of debt! Good progress...YES! But paying back $5 billion when you still owe $53 Billion to US & Canada is only a step in the right direction!

For me, it's a reminder to accurately as I can represent myself and the camp. How about you? Is your yes really yes? is your no really no?

No comments: