Friday, April 2, 2010

Young people and "work ethic"

In my circle of friends, it is very common for the topic of young people and poor work ethic to be discussed. Perhaps I am trapped in a time warp where I have become an old fogy and compare how I worked to the kids I see today. Perhaps it's just me, but I think there is more here.

As a dad I wonder if parents are just protecting their children by supplying all their needs and teaching them to not try hard to achieve something. Actually the reason is not that important, what is important is to influence the areas we can control.

In a blog a few days ago I wrote about Stephen Covey's 7 habits. Well, it is useful here as well. I want all three of my kids to know how to work hard and have success. So, we train them to clean up after themselves, they will learn to do laundry, budget and spend the money they earn. They will try hard in school, get jobs and work, they will learn to communicate well with others, and much more.

Lori and I alone are responsible for helping to aim these kids and prepare them to be successful participants in our American culture. It's not a perfect plan and we know each child must CHOOSE to follow the plan, but it's where we are going. If you are looking to hire a hard working young person, I hope you will consider our kids.

2 comments:

E R Hull said...

Interesting article in the Washington Post on this very topic of young people (millenials) and their work ethic (or lack thereof or misperception of)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/02/AR2010040201452.html?hpid=topnews

David Coyne said...

Interesting! I knew that this generation valued money differently than previous generations.