Sunday, January 11, 2009

Haiti, some trash and a change in perspective

It was December 1984 and I went Haiti to help build a church building. It was my first flight (a whole other story) and first trip out of the U.S. There were 19 total members to our party and our goal was simple; help construct a church building in a mountain area of Haiti!

Here were some of things I experienced. No electricity, nightly dog fight. We slept in the dirt. Adults ate something every 1 1/2 days, children ate once daily. To live into your 40's was really good! No TV, no extra clothes...and in the midst of it all- Haitian's were the happiest people I have ever been around.

A child had a piece of trash and was making car sounds and driving it through the dirt. The child was happy with trash!!!! At age 17, I was confronted with a message opposite of what I knew in America. Happiness does not come from things!

Haiti has become a reminder of not becoming so involved with consumerism. Reminders help keep our journey moving correctly. Take a moment and think about your reminders. The mark your path and keep you headed in the right direction.

No comments: