Saturday, January 10, 2009

I have been fascinated with this story

I sat a few weeks ago on a discussion with a group of people I work with. An author and teacher was reminding us of a story from the Bible (Luke 19) about Zacchaeus. Here is the scene.

The streets were filled with people because they had heard that Jesus was coming. It was likely hundreds or thousands of people packing the sides of the roadway. Something like the Macy's Day Parade!

It was so crowded that Zacchaeus could not see and climbed a tree to catch a glimpse. It was in this environment (thousands of people) that Jesus chose one man out to meet with! Sometimes I see Jesus as working with crowds best and here was a perfect opportunity, but He chose 1 man. In fact, He chose the local "tax collector", a man hated by this own race of people.

For me, I am challenged to not be drawn by the crowd only, but by the needs of people! It may be hundreds but likely it's just 1 person that I should meet, encourage or listen to their story! I think I can meet 1, how about you?

No comments: