Saturday, January 3, 2009

Legislating Jesus

I have some friends having a great discussion on Facebook regarding Abortion, Gay rights and more. In short, I don't think that we can legislate "Jesus"! What I mean is, we cannot vote for measures that will force or help people to follow Jesus Christ.

I vote! I vote for legislation that makes sense. I desire to follow Jesus and live with others who may not share my ideals! In some ways this has blurred the lines for me, but I find myself not making judgments as much about where others might be! I find myself allowing people who follow Jesus and those who don't to just be where they are!

It looks passive or lazy, but for me I must suspend judgment in order to understand where someone begins. Said another way, I may want to help a friend through a tough time, but since they have to go through it, I will WAIT to be asked to help! I have made my offers, but I cannot force them into decisions they are not willing to uphold.

I will continue to vote for measures that make sense to me as a follower of Christ, but more important to Jesus are the people and His church!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Couldn't have said it better. Not much help to force my values on people who do not believe as I do. That's where Christians get a bad name when it comes to politics.